The House at the Stone Bell is considered by many to be the most beautiful building in the whole of the Old Town and is thought to have once belonged to Queen Eliska of the Premyslids, who was the wife of King John of Luxembourg. It is thought to have existed from at least the 12th century, as there have been walls dating to this period found in the building’s cellar. There are also many pieces of 14th-century architecture to be seen in this building, meaning that it is a veritable treasure trove for lovers of architecture and history.
The main feature of this building, though, is the bell that adorns the outside, although the one seen now is a replica. The bell serves great significance in the history of Prague as it is thought to be a reminder of the events of 1310 when King John of Luxembourg’s forces were let into the Old Town thanks to supporters open the gates at the sound of the bell – which Queen Eliska’s chaplain sounded – therefore meaning that the area could be taken without the use of bloodshed. Charles IV is also thought to have stayed here in 1333 when he found Prague Castle empty upon returning from France and Italy.