This exquisite Baroque church (Kostel sv. Mikuláše) was built between 1704-1755 by Kilian Dientzenhofer, it is one of the most beautiful Baroque churches in Europe. Building was completed in 1735, but in 1781 Emperor Jozef II ordered the closure of monasteries and the decorations were removed.
During WWII, the Czech army stationed in this church, and at the same time, artists restored a lot of it. Originally a church of a Benedictine Monastery, it now belongs to the Czechoslovak Hussite Church.
There are beautiful ceiling paintings showing scenes from the life of St. Nicholas and St. Benedict, along with a wonderful chandelier. The southern facade is decorated with figures of Saints. Decorated with white stucco, it has been nicknamed, the wedding cake, and is a classic example of Prague baroque architecture.
Ignaz Platzer created the copper statue of St Nicholas, which looks down from the high altar. The splendid dome is 18m (59 feet) high – higher than the Petřín Tower. The rococo pulpit with angels and cherubs was made by Peter and Richard Prachner in 1765.
Inside is Baroque Organ played by W. A. Mozart, when he was in Prague, four years later it was played at a funeral Mass in his memory. St. Nicholas Church is also very popular concert venue during the summer. Near of this church you can take a horse-drawn cab and make a tour around the Lesser Town Square.
To get to St. Nicholas Church, take the Metro A line to station Malostranská, or Tram 12 or 22 and go off at the Malostranské nám stop. It is open daily from: Mar. to Oct. – 10am to 8pm; Nov. to Feb. – 10am to 6pm; Apr. to Sep. – 10am to 10pm. The admission for adults is 70 CZK per person.