Old Town Square (Staroměstské náměstí) has been Prague’s principal public centre since the 10th century, and was its main marketplace until the beginning of the 20th century. It is the centre of Czech national history and art, witnessing all political meetings, concert bands, celebrations of victories either in the political scene or the sporting arena, and not to forget the annual Christmas and Easter markets which attract huge tourist crowds.
The most popular part of the tower is the town hall clock. Prague’s Astronomical Clock is one of the oldest and most elaborate clocks ever built. It was first installed in 1410 and later the clock was rebuilt by the Master Hanus in 1490.
The Old Town (Staré Město) creation was consummated after the year 1230 by building fortifications around the town area. For two to three centuries, there have been settlements of merchants of Romance origin, of Germans and Jews, surrounding the main Prague market.
Come to see this impressive Old Town parish church, especially at night. This Gothic church was built in 1365 on the site of an earlier Romanesque church. Its magnificent multiple steeples are 80m high and dominate the square.
Pařížská Street, the ultimate bourgeois avenue, thanks to its location, has always belonged to the streets with a high concentration of luxurious shops, swanky cafés, restaurants and bars. This street runs off the Old Town Square to the Vltava River, it bisects the Jewish quarter and is an easy walk from some of the best five star hotels in Prague.
This street is located in the Old Town and is one of the most important streets in the district. It is steeped with history dating back to the 14th century, during which time it was inducted into the “Royal Way”, which was a route through the city that Czech monarchs followed when they were being coroneted.
Category: Old Town
This Church of St. Nicholas was a Gothic building and was the parish church of the Old Town before the Tyn Church was built. It was taken by Benedictine monks during the Counter-Reformation of Czech lands during the 1600s and was then rebuilt in a Baroque style during the 1700s by Kilian Ignac Dienzenhofer.
In the early 12th century this area of town was essentially the entry point for anyone coming into the city to trade, as the customs post was located here. In fact, all customs duty was paid here up until the 16th century, meaning that the area is replete with history.
Prague Christmas markets start on 29 November and run daily throughout December until 1 January. Markets are usually open from 09.00 until 19.00. Major markets are located around Wenceslas Square and Old Town Square while smaller ones can be found around Havelska Trziste, Namesti Miru and Namesti Republiky.
The House at the Stone Bell is considered by many to be the most beautiful building in the whole of the Old Town and is thought to have once belonged to Queen Eliska of the Premyslids, who was the wife of King John of Luxembourg.