On the day following the ceremony of his coronation, Charles the fourth recommended a Carmelite monastery to a church that ended up serving as a coronation church. Given this significance, construction plans for a Gothic style 3-aisled church were drawn up, which would come second to Prague Castle‘s cathedral concerning height and size and would further encompass part of what’s now Jungmann’s Square (Jungmannovo náměstí). The workshop of Peter Parler also participated in the building. The Hussite conflict delayed the construction, and just the high choir was finished by 1397. Despite being unfinished, Our Lady of the Snows church has the tallest vault than every other Prague church (thirty-four metres). Early in the seventeenth century, Discalced Franciscans were given the church and the monastery by Emperor Rudolph the second and rapidly carried on with the building. The Franciscans constructed some newly designed Renaissance style net vaulting and brought the roof down lower on the west side. They also built a tall façade wall containing a choir loft. Made by an unidentified artist from 1649 to 1651, the Early Baroque primary altar is the tallest altar column in Prague (twenty-nine metres). The Virgin Annunciation altarpiece was painted in 1724 by the artist Wenzel Lorenz Reiner. The side altar of St Catherine is decorated with a picture of this saint by the artist Georg Wilhelm Neunherz. On the church’s north side, the chapel of Saint Michael is memorable because of its Baroque style altar and the chapels next to it of Saint John of Nepomuk and Our Lady Help of Christians. They close off the courtyard at the church’s front side. The northern side also boasts a copy of the previous monastery’s cemetery entrance. This was in a Gothic portal style, adorned with characters of the Virgin Mary’s coronation, Charles the fourth and Blanche, his wife.
This church is part of the Roman Catholic Churches.
The church is located at Jungmannovo náměstí 753 / 18 in New Town. It opens every day from 07:00 to 19:00.